Ted and Willie Gerst, well-known and highly respected farmers in Oakville, were proud to partner with Oakville Feed & Grain, Inc.
1950 – The Gerst Brothers, Ted and Willie, were on the road during harvest time in this vintage grain truck.
1950s – John McCulley, Sr. (center), poses for a photograph with a group of loyal customers. The man to the far left in the black coat is John’s father, Glen McCulley.
1950s – These local livestock producers appear to be pleased that their grain storage silo is filled to capacity.
1955 – John McCulley, Sr., and son Robert McCulley stand in the company’s chicken shed. Poultry is no longer a part of TriOak’s business, but Bob has grown to become the chairman of the board of TriOak Foods.
1955 – John McCulley, Sr., and Janet Shipman are poised to greet customers who will stop by to purchase sweet cream for 58 cents a quart, or milk for 56 cents a gallon. Janet, the company’s second employee, is still on board, celebrating six decades of dedicated service.
Circa 1957 – The Oakville Feed & Produce facility was originally a horse stable. The Kent Feeds building was added later. During this time, Oakville Feed & Produce provided a grain bank service.
Circa 1960 – Roger, Doug and Kenneth Campbell oversee a drift of gilts. Notable characteristics of the period are tail curvature, animal weight distribution and outdoor penning.
Early 1960s – A young 4H member tends to his pigs at the county fair.
1962 – John McCulley, Sr., stands in front of the company’s first grain facility, in Oakville, IA.
Mid-1960s – At the bottom of this aerial photograph are government-owned storage bins that John McCulley, Sr., managed. In the center of the photo are the Oakville lumberyard and train depot.
1967 – Delivering liquid nitrogen to local farmers was a significant part of the company’s business.
Late 1960s – This feed truck was capable of hauling over two tons of feed per load to area farms.
Oakville Feed & Produce started on the right foot, as evidenced by its first profit and loss statement from January 1951.
1976 – The OakFeeds brand was predominant throughout southeastern Iowa in the mid-1970s.
Late 1970s – Who knew that the Oak Feeds mill of the 1970s would later become the TriOak Foods of today?
1980s – John McCulley, Sr., stands in front of the Oakville Feed & Grain Sign. The “Tri” in TriOak signifies the company’s three business focuses of the time – feed, grain and fertilizer.
1992 – A massive blaze destroys the Oakville Feed & Grain facility. Volunteers from six area fire departments respond, but the devastation is complete. © The Hawk Eye
1992 – Following the devastating fire in March, TriOak employees and members of the Oakville community come together to help rebuild the mill.